Friday, June 22, 2007

Danielle Steel 'Coming Out'

I just broke one of my long time, iron clad rules about never buying or reading Danielle Steel. I read a book of her's probably twenty years ago and I don't even remember what turned me off but I swore I would never read another. Well, it was so short and had such a cute cover, I gave in.

Was It Bad! Oh, my aching head. The monotonous description of the perfect lawyer mother of four who only takes cases about exploited workers and still makes sure she's home by 5 every day. Gag me with a spoon. Olympia is only outdone in her incredible perfectness by her holocaust survivor mother in law. Olympia has this unfortunate blue blood background so her daughters get asked to 'come out' at the most exclusive such event in New York. At the coming out ball her son tells her that he's gay. And I quote, "In a different way than his sisters, he had come out, too." The only time Olympia falters in her incessant wonderfulness is when she discovers one of her twin daughters has a tattoo. I so can not care about these people.

Contemporary book 2007: 0 out of 5.

2 comments:

Stewart said...

Hey seriously, what is that picture of someone digging through a garbage can in the review of the Roberts book?

Amd when are you going to implement my awesome graphical rating system?

Heloise said...

If you read the review, our heroine is a drifter, so I did a little search for homeless women. Pretty nice, huh?

Ummm, well the shower heads were just too gross. Sorry. I did look through most of the Moby Dick blog and am trying to include an appropriate visual in most entries.