Thursday, June 28, 2007

Julia Quinn 'The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever'


"8th of June, 1819

I am informed that certain society matrons are under the impression that Turner holds me in a romantic regard. This would be cause for great celebration if:

1. It were true.
2. He hadn't responded by laughing and saying "Miranda is certainly the least intolerable girl in London."
3. He hadn't then grinned in my direction, as if I were expected to take that as a compliment.

I laughed, of course, because he was clearly jesting, and I suppose I should be grateful that he considers me a fine enough friend to tease.
But I do not wish to be his friend....."

Did I mention how much I like Julia Quinn's books? Her 'formula' (this is a formula genre after all) is that her characters are so damn witty. If I had to critique, I would say the end could have used one less page of Turner groveling. Otherwise, sex was terrific, plot was light but totally enjoyable, and even the secondary characters were wonderful.

Historical Romance 2007: 5 out of 5

2 comments:

Marg said...

I really must do something about getting hold of these books! If only my TBR pile wasn't already toppling over!


BTW...welcome to blogging! I look forward to reading more from you!

Heloise said...

Thanks so much. Hope the reviews are useful. I finally started piling the books on the floor, much more stable than my bedside table!