Monday, October 29, 2007

Monica McCarty 'Highlander Untamed'

This book is a throw back to an earlier generation of romance novels. The hero is pretty progressive for a muscle bound medieval warrior type, the heroine is amazingly beautiful, and sweet and nice. The hero refuses to consummate the relationship despite his right to do so, on honorable grounds, which leads to a lot of sexual frustration on everyone's part.

In the end, I just didn't like the main characters. The heroine has some serious TSTL moments in her deliberations on their relationship problems. The hero is a little too muscle bound for me and the sister becoming an expert archer after losing her eye was a little too silly even for me, can you say depth perception?

That said, at the end of the book the author tells us that these are real historical people, and all of the sudden I wanted to like the story. Well, I'll give her points for research and really, the writing isn't horrible but the characters are poorly drawn.

Historical Romance 2007: 2 out of 5 stars.

4 comments:

Stewart said...

Do you have the gout?

Heloise said...

Um, is that a personal question? My Mom does...

Stewart said...

I mean, I asked becuase you were complaining of toe pain in your Twitter haikus, which I thought was a little weird.

Heloise said...

To bed to bed, Sleepy Head, Tarry awhile says Slow. Put on the pan, says Greedy Nan, we'll sup before we go.

Second only to Home again, home again jiggity jig. What can I say, I'm trying to be too clever for my own good.