Thursday, April 24, 2008

Deirdre Martin 'Just A Taste'

The long awaited, much anticipated, finally completed, review of Stewart's request, Just A Lick. There isn't all that much to say about this one, it's an enjoyable light read that's not badly written. The characters are likable, the plot isn't too silly and it's fun to imagine yourself as a chef. There is sexual tension between our two protagonists but not much action until near the end.

Things I didn't like. Our hero lost his wife a year ago. That strikes me as way too soon to jump into another 'love of your life' relationship. When our hero has a minor breakdown and can't take Vivi into his bedroom, she reacts with anger. I would be sad and depressed if that happened to me, but anger? I felt like the cute French heroine went from saucy to bitchy about two thirds of the way through the book. She didn't become completely unlikable, but it was jarring given the characterization up to that point. And **(slight spoiler)** why does she dump him? Overall pretty harmless.

Contemporary Romance 2008: 3.5 out of 5 apple tarts.

2 comments:

Stewart said...

Great review Lis, as always. Too bad it wasn't quite as saucy as you would have liked. I'm sure Rob is thrilled to hear that you would wait way longer than a year after he passed to start cavorting with chefs.

Anonymous said...

Woot! I can't believe you actually got around to reading this! Nice! I can't wait for your upcoming Great Gatsby review....