Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin

No, it's not a romance novel.  Well, I don't think there is a romance, there is some action but it's off the page so I don't suppose it counts either.

This is my first fantasy novel by N.K. Jemisin and besides really liking the book I also very much enjoyed the author's interview with herself at the end of the book. :)

The city-state of Gujaareh is a place where the peace is kept, no matter what.  What would you give up for security and certainty.  What if euthanasia were so accepted it was asked for almost lightly? What happens when a state has too much power?

I know, I know, no earth shatteringly new philosophical questions here but the characters are richly drawn, the social mores are unusual and interesting and the plot unfolds with enough tension to keep you reading.  In addition there is enough ambiguity to the "answers" to the social questions that the author doesn't hit you over the head with her opinions on the above questions.

I really enjoyed the book and am looking forward to reading the second book in the series.

Egyptian Inspired Fantasy 2012: 4.5 out of 5 humming jungissa.

No comments: